Scope of Work
Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining excellence in technical and operational project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change.
Adaptasi Perubahan Iklim dan Ketangguhan (APIK) Project is a 5-year, $19 million USAID funded Project. The purpose of APIK is to support the Government of Indonesia to strengthen climate and disaster resilience, working in an integrated manner from the national level down to the community level. APIK will help to mainstream climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction into national and sub-national governance frameworks, build the capacity of local communities and the private sector to address climate change and weather-related natural hazards, and support the use of information for climate and disaster risk management among key stakeholders.
General Position Summary
The DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction) Specialist contributes to the achievement of APIK objectives at the regional level by assisting in the development of DRR CCA (Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation) strategies, regional-level workplans, coordinating regional-level activities, ensuring strong communications with the APIK regional office and technical specialists, and generally building trust between APIK and local stakeholders. S/he works side by side with APIK partners on a daily basis and represents the front line of the Project.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Recognize Opportunities for innovative action and coordinated impact among APIK team member.
- Provide research and analysis on each target work locations on DRR and sector issues in Maluku region;
- Develop and implement DRR CCA concept, strategies, and tools for use at regional and community level;
- Working under the direction and guidance of Regional Manager and technical advisors, substantially assisting in the development and implementation of Regional-level strategies and workplans;
- Work closely with the Regional Team to design, implement, and evaluate DRR and CCA strategies, program activities, and best practices that are tailored to the context of Maluku and each target landscapes and districts;
- Communicate best practices and lessons learned with stakeholders at the Province, Districts, as well as Communities, collaborating with the Communications, Outreach and Knowledge Management Specialist as needed;
- Provide DRR CCA technical assistance to regional staff as well as to stakeholders at Province, District, and Community level;
- Working with other technical Specialists and Advisors on concept design for CCA DRR actions, preparing scope of work/RFA/call for proposals for Resilience Fund, and being part of the evaluation committee when necessary;
- Developing in-depth knowledge and understanding of local-level issues, programs and resources related to CCA and DRR, including the activities of local government agencies, private sector businesses, NGOs and community groups, other development programs, etc.;
- Closely monitoring DRR CCA activities at the regional and community level and keep APIK regional staff as well as DRR Advisor well-informed of the status of local-level activities, problems encountered, etc., and actively soliciting the support of such staff as needs arise;
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with key local partners (local government agencies particularly both Provincial and City/District BPBD, local NGOs, local community groups, local university), ensuring that APIK is well-informed and well-regarded as a credible and effective development partner;
- Overseeing local level data collection required for appropriate monitoring of APIK activities and the tracking of results and outcomes;
- Producing regular reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.) on project implementation at the local level, highlighting results/outcomes, programmatic successes, problems encountered, and possible solutions;
- Working with technical specialists to periodically develop success stories and lessons learnt that may take the form of presentation, articles, and contributions to project newsletters as well as undertaking special projects, e.g. conferences and workshops;
- Supervise Field Coordinators in Ambon, Maluku Tengah and Aru Islands who are working at district level;
- Provide substantial guidance as well as day-to-day project implementation to Field Coordinators at district level, ensuring achievement of the targeted work plans and project indicators;
- Serve as security focal point for APIK Maluku to enhance the safety and security of all staff.
- Develop scheme for safety and security in all APIK Maluku work areas and necessary SOPs, and provide routine safety and security training for all staff;
- Conducting other tasks as required and which are consistent with the above;
- Fulfill Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide;
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia regulations.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: 3 Field Coordinators working at district level of Ambon, Central Maluku, and Aru Islands.
Reports Directly To: Regional Manager
Works Directly With: Program Team and other APIK Team Member
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven experience with DRR CCA policy issues, providing policy and advisory services to determine best approaches for enhanced development effectiveness in support of DRR CCA;
- Experience with resilience-focused activities, resource mobilization, and advocacy;
- Possess at least a university degree; preferably in environmental engineering/science, disaster management, geology, geography, or social science.
- At least 3 years of experience working on institutional DRR CCA program; preferably with working experience in Maluku.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience in facilitation, training, and organizing work at government and policy level.
- Ability to facilitate different actors and interests between government-civil society-private sector to have deliberative processes towards building local resilience and sustainability.
- Able to work independently in limited supervision/facility as well as a team player with a range of people.
- Ability to multi-task and flexibility to work on evenings and weekend on occasion and to travel as and when required within the APIK Project area.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office tools and internet-based infrastructure.
- Able to work in challenging areas (i.e. limited access to internet, small islands, live-in with local communities, etc.).
- Women are encouraged to apply.
The successful DRR Specialist will have a quality to build concepts, strategies, and tools as well as policy papers on building resilience through DRR CCA. Demonstrated substantial contributions to regional-level workplan development and quality implementation as well as produce activity reports as required by the work at hand. S/he will provide regular and timely inputs to APIK workplans, weekly reports, and quarterly and annual reports, making occasional article or policy paper or success story highlighting APIK achievement at the regional level. S/he is competent to provide technical assistance and guidelines for regional team on CCA DRR implementations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The DRR Specialist will be based in Ambon – Maluku, and travel to Kabupaten Maluku Tengah, Kabupaten Kepulauan Aru, and other locations as necessary on an approximate monthly basis. Expect the lack of health service and facilities in the work area. YMCI team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and YMCI’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Vacancy will be closed 26 July 2019 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.